The mission of Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. is to foster the on-going growth and vitality of downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts through vision, leadership and advocacy and to position downtown as the creative and business hub of the Berkshires for the benefit of all.
Since 1983, Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. (DPI) has been the recognized leader, facilitator and principal advocate for downtown. DPI has developed strategies and programs, mobilizing resources resulting in a creative, lively, sustainable environment.
- Initiated and advocated for nearly $100 million in downtown development projects serving as developer of the Central Block and co-developer of Beacon Cinema
- Secured additional liquor licenses in downtown to encourage new restaurants.
- Spearheaded redevelopment of West Street including Greylock Federal, Tierney and Laurin Publishing (Kay Bee Toys), McKay Street Parking Garage and 7 North Street
- Led the lobbying for state and federal grants for the North and South Street improvement projects; currently working to secure funding for the next phase
- Advocates for proposed development projects with city officials at City Council and Commission meetings
- Provides advice and support to businesses and investors looking to move to downtown and assists in recruiting new businesses
- Serves as the liaison among downtown property owners, businesses, retailers and residents with the various city departments
- Works with local government and police department on quality of life issues to encourage downtown economic development, beautification and safety
- Collaborates with city and downtown cultural leaders to increase the presence and impact of the arts, entertainment and cultural events
Downtown Pittsfield, Inc. carried out a 5-year Strategic Plan in 2010 that outlined a series of priorities for the organization through 2015. It established committees to help carry out these goals. They include Executive Committee, Business Development, Quality of Life, Membership, Fundraising and Special Events. The committees are open to both Board and non-Board members. Join a committee!