Old Town Hall, 43 East Street

The Old Town Hall existed before 1832 at 43 East Street. Besides town offices, there was a school located in the lower level of the cramped building. Lemuel Pomeroy offered to build a new, larger town hall at his own expense if St. Stephen’s could buy the land where the Old Town Hall used to…

Details

Berkshire Athenaeum, 44 Bank Row

The original Berkshire Athenaeum was established in 1876 at 44 Bank Row in a striking Gothic building erected with the backing of cousins, Thomas Allen and Phineas Allen Jr., whose father started The Pittsfield Sun newspaper. At first the small city library contained only 800 volumes, but by 1870, when the legislature changed the name…

Details